Offshore Submersibles Ltd. HADS-10 Kraken Hard Atmospheric Diving Suit
by Tim Wing
- Height: 3 meters
- Depth: 1.2 meters
- Width: 1.5 meters
- Weight: 473 kg
- Design: Brisbane RRG and Offshore Submersibles Ltd.
- Builder: Offshore Submersibles Ltd.
- Type: one-man power assisted hard atmospheric diving suit
III. Service History:
- WASP-4: Hard atmospheric diving suit used by the Royal Navy from 1996 until 2017; by the UN Spacy from 2004 until 2017; and by the UEDF Naval Division from 2018 until 2023.
- HADS-10: Combat capable hard atmospheric diving suit used by the UEDF Naval Division from 2021 until 2031.
- Engines: 6 x hydrojets, one mounted on each shoulder and two in each calve
- Powerplant: 1 x Brisbane RRG protoculture cell energizer
- Fuel Capacity: 4 x standard protoculture cells
- Maximum speed in water: 64 kph
- Maximum running speed: 72 kph
- Maximum dive depth: 1,800 meters
- Synthetic aperture sonar suite. Utilizes both active and passive modes. Can detect targets at up to 80 km in active modes.
- High-intensity multi-spectrum diving lights.
- 1 x TDWS-45 Torpedo Gun. The TDWS-45 was 45mm dual tube underwater torpedo launcher designed specifically for underwater combat. Fires a 45mm sonar guided torpedo with a high explosive shaped charge warhead, propelled by a Stored Chemical Energy Propulsion (SCEP) system. Payload consists of six torpedoes, loaded in two magazines with three torpedoes each. Maximum range is 3.7 km. The warhead is intended primarily for anti-ship operations, though it is capable of engaging mecha, if said mecha are underwater.
- Note: The HADS-10 can also carry a broad range of hand held light infantry and powered armor specific weapons systems for land combat and amphibious operations.
The armor of the HADS-10 is composed of high strength steel titanium alloy, or “space metal” as it is colloquially known. The armor of the HADS-10 stops all light infantry weapons small, provides fair resistance to heavy infantry weapons fire and poor resistance light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round.
The HADS-10 provides protection from all nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. Internal consumables provide oxygen for up to 24 hours of operational use.
The HADS-10 was built by Offshore Submersibles Ltd., designer of pre-war diving suits such as the WASP-4. The WASP-4 was already in service with the Royal Navy and the UN Spacy, before both services were combined under the Treaty of the Southern Cross. The newly formed Naval Infantry Corps of the United Earth Defense Force (UEDF) Naval Division wanted an upgraded version of the old WASP-4 which would be capable of amphibious combat. The Robotech Research Group in Brisbane Australia took up the challenge, completely redesigning the WASP.
The HADS-10 introduced power assist to the articulated joints as well as an integral water propulsion system consisting of pump jets to the basic design of the WASP-4. Provisions were made for a detachable propulsion pack. This pack did not increase speed, but rather was for long range amphibious missions. The HADS-10 was built for amphibious operations, being capable of both land and sea combat.
The HADS-10 was used for two primary combat missions: anti-shipping and amphibious assault. In the anti-shipping role, the Kraken would typically be used against ships in port where they would be safe from attack submarines. This sort of mission was reserved for the Naval Divisions Underwater Demolitions Teams (UDTs). The amphibious assault mission was the job of the more conventional Naval Infantry. For this mission, the HADS-10 could disembark from ships at sea over the horizon from the target area. The Kraken would then swim in at high speed and attack coastal defenses with hand held anti-mecha guided missiles. In addition to its combat duties, the HADS-10 was used for a variety of more mundane purposes, from rescue to deep sea salvage. Krakens continued to be involved in recovering protoculture supplies from down Zentraedi spaceships all the way up to the Invid Invasion.
An HADS-10 Kraken engaged in combat with EBSIS genetically engineered guard dolphins at the port of Sevastopol.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (R) is the property of Big West Advertising, Tatsunoko Studio and Ammonite studio. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Kogawa Tomonori, Hiroyuki Kitazume, Miyo Sonoda, Hiroshi Ogawa, Hirotoshi Ohkura and Takashi Ono
Content by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2018 Tim Wing