by Tim Wing
- Wraith reference file
- Wraith gallery
- Height: 4.1 meters
- Length: 10.4 meters
- Wingspan: 32.4 meters (with wings swept out)
- Weight: 18.5 metric tons (estimated)
- Design: unknown, presumed Haydonite in origin
- Builder: unknown
- Aerospace Superiority Fighter (note that it is not confirmed that this fighter can operate in an atmosphere, as it has only been encountered in space)
III. Service History:
- Operated by the Haydonites. Entry date into service unknown. First encountered 2044.
- Two engines of unknown design and specification, mounted side by side along the centerline of the craft, facing aft. Possibly plasma-shock expansion type.
- Assumed to have both anti-gravity flight controls and an advanced Inertia Vector Control System (IVCS).
- Powerplant: Assumed to be protoculture cell energizer based, though it is possible that the craft is powered by an advance micronized fusion powerplant.
- Fuel Capacity: 10 standard protoculture cells, if powered by a protoculture cell energizer (estimated). Reaction mass tankage unknown.
- Maximum level speed (Terra-type atmosphere): 1,120 kph at sea level, 1,760 kph at 10,000 meters, 3,000 kph (Mach 2.4) at 30,000 meters.
Note: These figures are based on UEEF estimates of what the craft should be capable of, utilizing engine designs of known technology. It is the opinion of this publication that the craft likely uses engines of advance design that would enable it to travel at hypersonic speeds (Mach 5 plus) at all altitudes and that the aerospace craft is likely capable of achieving escape velocity in an Earth-like atmosphere.
- Minimum speed: Unknown
- Delta-v capacity: Unknown
- Protoculture cell endurance: Unknown
- Protoculture emissions detection system (confirmed)
Shadow Cloaking Device hyperspace-emissions detection system (confirmed)
- Passive multispectral detection system (assumed)
- Active multispectral detection system (assumed)
Tactical Electronic Warfare System (TEWS):
- Passive multispectral threat detection system (assumed)
- Note that no active missile countermeasures have been observed in combat
- 2 x High Yield Pulse Lasers. Observed to be very high yield, estimated to be at least 50 MJ per burst. The yield and rate of fire are superior to any mecha mounted laser or directed energy weapon in UEEF or Tiresian inventory.
- Additional armament is purely speculative. The ability to mount heavier directed energy weapons as well as conventional, nuclear and anti-mater warhead anti-ship missiles must not be discounted.
The armor of the Wraith is composed of unknown materials. Spectral analysist is classified, though it should be made available in 2094 under the provisional freedom of information act.
The armor has been observed to stop all heavy infantry weapons fire and light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round. Specific armor protection past that is difficult to estimate, though it must be noted that the high explosive armor piercing multi-purpose warhead of the Hammerhead missile has been successful in damaging the Wraith in past engagements, when fired in volley. No active-energy-based protection systems have been observed, but once again the existence of such a system should not be discounted.
Only two mecha were encountered during the Haydonite Pseudo-War. An aerospace fighter, called the Wraith in United Earth Expeditionary Force (UEEF) reporting name parlance, was the only mecha encountered in space-to-space combat. Very little hard data is known about the Wraith, and what is known will remain classified until at least 2094. (Though additional information should be declassified by 2094 according to the provisional freedom of information act, it is expected that this information will remain classified well past this date.)
The Wraith was first encountered in the Omicron sector during the Haydonite Pseudo-War in 2044. It is a fast and agile non-variable fighter with a very small radar signature and a directed-energy-based weapon system.
The fuselage of the Wraith is teardrop shaped with four variable geometry wings and two ventral mounted stabilizers/control surfaces. The fighter has a single sensor mounted at the front of the fuselage, facing forward. The surface of the fuselage is covered in layered plates of unknown composition. Two engines of unknown design and specification are mounted side by side along the centerline of the craft, facing aft. Two pulse lasers are mounted on the dorsal side of the fuselage. These lasers are mounted in flex position which can traverse through at least 180 degrees azimuth, 30 degrees to -45 degrees of elevation.
The Wraith has been observed to have a very small radar signature, suggesting passive stealth properties. The Wraith has been observed to have no infrared or protoculture signature, suggesting that it has an active signature dampening system like the UEEF’s Shadow Cloaking Device (as one would expect, since this technology was gifted to the UEEF by the Haydonites). Sensor capabilities of the Wraith are unknown, though the type has been observed to have the ability to detect and lock onto the hyperspace emissions of the Shadow Cloaking Device. Because of this, the Shadow Cloaking Device had to be banned from use during the Pseudo-War. The Wraith has also been shown to be able to detect Protoculture emissions. Further sensor capabilities are thought to be extensive.
Examination of the known facts about the Wraith Leave far more questions than answers. While the type is certainly advanced when compared to contemporary mecha such as the VF/A-6 Shadow and the Tiresian Bioroid series, the Wraith is not that impressive when viewed in the context of the well documented planetary defense systems of Haydon IV. So effective are these defenses, which do without any space fighter capability, that it is puzzling why the Haydonites would field an aerospace fighter of such modest and conventional design. An interesting flaw in the Wraith’s capabilities is an observed absence of any active missile countermeasures systems. Reasons for this shortcoming are purely speculative. It is possible that the Wraith is a very old weapons system, dating back centuries or perhaps millennia, that was pressed into service for the limited action which was the Haydonite Pseudo-War. This would explain why the type seems to be so far behind the Haydonite state of the art. It is also possible that the Haydonites purposely limited the Wraith’s capabilities in order to give the UEEF a fighting chance. Reasons for this would be completely inscrutable, but so much is when dealing with the machine learning intelligence which is the Haydonite race.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Harmony Gold; Brian Manning
Content by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2018 Tim Wing