by Tim Wing
- Speeder reference file
- Speeder gallery
- Length: 7.3 meters
- Width: 1.7 meters
- Height: 3.7 meters
- Weight: 6 metric tons.
- One Man Reconnaissance Hover Car sized for a Malar-gar (Overseer) pilot
- The service entry date is unknown. The earliest confirmed recording of the Speeder was taken in 2023. The last known sighting was in 2036, though it is believed to have been in service through till 2044.
- 3 x vectorable thruster ports for forward thrust mounted rearward, max. combined output power 90 kN (estimated).
- 2 x vectorable thruster ports for lifting thrust mounted rearward on the left and right sides, max. combined output power 40 kN (estimated).
- 2 x vectorable thruster ports for lifting thrust mounted forward on the canard struts, max. combined output power 25 kN (estimated).
- Powerplant: 1 protoculture cell energizer.
- Fuel Capacity: 6 Standard canisters of Protoculture.
V. Electronics Suite.
- One visual/LLLTV sensor cluster in the center of the nose. The spectral resolution of this sensor is very poor.
- Two side looking visual/LLLTV sensor clusters on the left and right of the nose. The spectral resolution of these sensors is equally poor.
None, other than the weapons systems of the Overseer pilot.
Note that the forward control canards are constructed form the same metal-ceramic-organic composite material as the claws of other Invid mecha. These canards can reportedly be used in slashing attacks against dismounted infantry. It has also been reported that they are strong enough to be used in attacking full size mecha, though these claims seem dubious.
The armor of the Speeder is composed of a composite of metals, ceramics, and organics unique to Invid manufacture. Research continues into the composition of this material, though results from X-ray crystallography, NMR, and mass spectroscopy studies remain classified. The armor stops all small arms and heavy infantry weapons fire, provides good resistance to light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round, and poor resistance to medium mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Valkyrie’s 55mm APFSDS round. The armor on the forward canards is substantially superior, and stops all small arms and heavy infantry weapons fire, provides good resistance to light mecha-mounted weaponry, and fair resistance to medium mecha-mounted weaponry.
The Speeder (Invid designation unknown) was a small one-man reconnaissance aerospacecraft used by the Regent’s faction of the Invid race. It was used exclusively to transport the Malar-gar (UEEF reporting name: Overseer). On an Earth-like planet or moon, such as Tirol, the Speeder only seemed capable of low altitude flight. This was probably due to the body having no lift producing surfaces, being completely reliant on its lift-thrusters. It was capable of extreme straight-line speed at low altitude, with an observed top speed of Mach 2.3. The Speeder has also been observed operating in space, though delta-v and endurance capabilities remain unknown. The Speeder is unarmed and is dependent on the weapons systems of its Overseer pilot. Very little else is known about the Speeder. What is known comes from direct battlefield observation and from the examination of the wreckage of one downed example.
The Speeder was first encountered on Tirol by the planetary defense forces of the Tiresian Legion. These craft, along with their Overseer pilots, were used in small numbers as battlefield observers for the Regent’s invasion force. The actual in-service date is not known. On the rare occasions that they were seen, their pilots appeared to have been carrying out battlefield damage assessments for the Regent’s forces. All contacts with the Overseers and their Speeders ceased after the departure of the Regent. For this reason, it is thought that the Overseers acted as a Royal Guard for the Regent himself. This is supported by the fact that all sightings of the Overseer by the United Earth Expeditionary Force (UEEF) were in theatres of operation where the Regent was present. The last known sighting was in 2036, though it is believed to have been in service through till 2044.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (R) is the property of Fuji Television, Artmic Studio and Tatsunoko Production. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Tatsunoko Production Company
Content by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2018 Tim Wing