by Robert Morgenstern, Peter Walker and Pieter Thomassen
edited by Tim Wing
- SVC-30 Ox reference file
- SVC-30 Ox gallery
Designation: Ling-Temco-Vought SVC-30 Ox Aerospace Lift Tug
Names and disposition:
- These tugs were only officially designated by number.
- 3 crew
- Length: 28.4 meters
- Height: 8.6 meters
- Span: 9.4 meters
- Weight: 65.2 metric tons.
- Reaction Thrusters (10): Turbomeca RT-50 reaction mass thrusters, for VTOL and spacelift operations. These VTOL thrusters are designed for use on planets with 1.25g of gravity or less.
- Secondary Reaction Thrusters (6) : lower-powered reaction thrusters (various designs) for forward thrust.
- Maneuvering Thrusters: Miscellaneous vernier thrusters for maneuvering.
- Main Power: Protoculture generators supplied by various manufacturers.
- Atmospheric cruise speed: Mach 0.95
- Maximum Range (space): Delta-v limit of 15 kps.
- Maximum Lift Mass: 58,000 metric tons.
- Generator endurance: 12 years.
- Westinghouse APS-145 E/F-band pulse-Doppler forward-looking radar.
- Phillips AllView II multi-band omni-directional digital camera system, for medium range all attitude infra-red imaging, optical and ultra-violet band detection and tracking
Tactical Electronic Warfare System (TEWS):
- Elettronica Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- OlDelft Infra-red Warning Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- Selenia Sky Warrior active/passive sensor jammers
- Chaff dispenser
The United Earth Defense Force (UEDF) Aerospace Command determined the need for a vehicle to assist in launching their space vessels into a low earth orbit for launch to conserve their reaction mass for deep space operations. An auxiliary requirement was for the vehicle to assist in launching their space vessels when a rapid launch situation required more launch facilities than were available at the major space facilities. These requirements led to the development of the SVC-30 Ox space lift tug that allows naval vessels to be launched vertically into low earth orbit while the vessels using the primary launch facilities would launch in a more conventional angled launch profile.
The Ox consists of mostly engine and reaction mass. Five Oxen are capable of lifting a fully loaded Battle-class destroyer to low earth orbit.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (R) is the property of Big West Advertising, Tatsunoko Studio and Ammonite studio. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Kogawa Tomonori, Hiroyuki Kitazume, Miyo Sonoda, Hiroshi Ogawa, Hirotoshi Ohkura and Takashi Ono
Acknowledgement is extended to Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide. Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern are given credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide that has been utilized in this publication.
Images from – This is Animation #10 The Southern Cross, Unspecified Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross OSM
Content by Pieter Thomassen, Peter Walker, and Robert Morgenstern, edited by Tim Wing
Copyright © 1997, 1995 Robert Morgenstern, Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen; 2016 Tim Wing