by Pieter Thomassen and Peter Walker, with Robert Morgenstern
edited by Tim Wing
- Nousjadeul-Ger reference file
- Nousjadeul-Ger gallery
Designation: Flemenmik 7721242921th Zentradi Fully-automated Weapons Factory, Development and Production Nousjadeul-Ger Air mobile Power Armor (lit. translation ‘Personal Body Suit’)
- Length: 8.4 m
- Width: 11.8 m
- Height: 16.4 m
- Weight: 34.7 metric tons (empty)
- Design: Flemenmik 7721242921th Zentradi Fully-automated Weapons Factory, Development and Production
- Builder: Various manufacturers
- One man, all weather air mobile combat mecha with secondary space capabilities.
III. Service History:
- Served with all arms of the Regular Zentraedi Forces and Border Fleets from 1871 onwards.
Note: all plasma-shock expansion engines draw their plasma from a single fusion pile.
- One 2.4 GGV class Flemenmik Protoculture-cell energizer
- One Varrebotsz type 21 plasma-shock expansion engine with limited vectorable exhaust. The thruster is located at the middle of the upper back, between the shoulder blades. It has a maximum burst output of 380kN and a maximum sustained output of 150 kN.
- Two Varrebotsz type 22 plasma-shock expansion engines with vectorable exhaust. The thrusters are located at the shoulders. Each has a maximum output of 127 kN.
- Six Varrebotsz type 23 plasma-shock expansion engine with limited vectorable exhaust. The thrusters are located in two rows of three, one row in each calf. Each has a maximum output of 50 kN.
- Assorted maneuvering thrusters, fed from the main engines, are spread out over the mecha.
- Fuel Capacity: 16 Standard Canisters of Protoculture.
- Maximum flying speed: 670 kph.
- Maximum altitude: 4750 meters
- Maximum running speed: 140 kph.
- Delta-v capacity: 2.7 kps
- Average cell duration: 180 hours continuous operational use.
VI. Sensory Systems:
- VPAS1-SS (*) phased array radar with spherical coverage, for various scan/track, battlefield surveillance and counterbattery options.
- VPAS1-SS Multi-band digital camera system, for medium range all attitude infra-red imaging, optical and ultra-violet band detection and tracking.
- VPAS1-SS Multi-frequency laser ranger and designator.
Tactical Electronic Warfare System (TEWS):
- VPAS1-SS Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- VPAS1-SS Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- VPAS1-SS Active sensor jammer
- VPAS1-SS Chaff and flare dispenser
(*) Terran designation. The Tirolian designers considered the sensors part of the design and did not assign separate designations for these systems.
- 1 x Tziplanas Morgol-06 (also known under the Terran designation of PLB-18) liquid cooled plasma cannon located on the right shoulder with a traverse of 90 degrees and elevation of -35 to 75 degrees. The cannon can fire a plasma beam with a yield of 19 MJ every two seconds; or a 9.5 MJ beam every second.
- 1 x Moldile Mistraekor-49 (also known under the Terran designation of RGT-F) 79.2mm triple-barreled rotary liquid-fueled, self-propelled impact cannon (autocannon) in the central torso. The cannon fires rocket-assisted semi-active laser guided HESH-grenades with a maximum speed of 300 m/s at 180 rpm to a maximum effective range of up to 0.9 km in an Earth-like environment. The ammunition bin under the weapon can contain 80 rounds.
- (optional) 1 or 2 x Karatszon Quillo-169 (also known under the Terran designation of PL-7) rapid-fire pulse laser cannon pod held in the hand. The laser fires between 7 MJ of laser energy in between 3 and 39 pulses per second. The gun pod has its own targeting laser system.
The armor of the Nousjadeul-Ger is composed of an advanced titanium-steel alloy. The armor stops all small arms and heavy infantry weapons fire, but provides only poor resistance to light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round, and virtually no resistance to medium mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Valkyrie’s 55mm APFSDS round.
The Nousjadeul-Ger provides full protection from nuclear, biological, and chemical hazards, using a sealed cockpit environment. The internal consumables supplies can provide breathable atmosphere for two days maximum.
As a supplemental mecha to the Battlepods, the Zentraedi fielded the Nousjadeul-Ger power armors. These mecha had air mobility, which the Reguld and Glaug battlepods lacked. However, the price paid for this capability was steep; the mecha was over twice as difficult to manufacture compared to the Reguld. It also had less battlefield persistence due to its larger reliance on projectile weaponry. Because of this weapon fit, the mecha was also less suited for aerospace operations. Finally, it had about the same level of protection as the Reguld, although the sloping shapes of several locations increased the chances of a glancing hit.
The Nousjadeul-Ger was designed as the mecha for the cavalry arm of the Zentraedi ground forces. The suit could fly under Earth-like conditions, and its weapons were well suited to its mission of deep penetration, reconnaissance and flank protection. The main plasma beam cannon was longer ranged and more powerful than the design mounted on the Reguld pods, and this enabled the Nousjadeul-Ger to operate as an effective sniper. The chest cannon however was, though powerful and accurate, short ranged. The triple barreled 79.2mm grenade throwers could put an impressive amount of ordnance or target, but the fixed cannon had insufficient ammunition to sustain more than 30 seconds of firing. The hand held laser was an accurate weapon, but lacked the sheer weight of fire of the Reguld’s particle beam cannons or the primary plasma cannon.
Some reports indicate that a new model of this mecha was produced in limited numbers beginning in the 2000’s. The mecha sported a stronger but lighter frame, a Vernier thruster in the groin, more strongly sloped armor for better protection, and a general improvement in power transfer to the beam weapon system, which could fire around twelve percent more rapidly. It is, however, estimated that no more than ten or twenty thousand of the Nousjaedul-ger mark II were built before the collapse of the Zentraedi war machine.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (R) is the properties of Big West Advertising and Studio Nue. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Shoji Kawamori, Miyatake Kazutaka, Haruhiko Mikimoto and Hidetaka Tenjin
Acknowledgement is extended to the work of Egan Loo and the Macross Compendium. Egan Loo is given all credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the Macross Compendium that has been utilized in this publication.
Acknowledgement is extended to Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide. Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern are given credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide that has been utilized in this publication.
Images from – Macross Perfect Memory (1983), Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works Macross & Orguss (2005)
Content by Pieter Thomassen and Peter Walker, with Rob Morgenstern; edited by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2000, 1997, 1995 Robert Morgenstern, Pieter Thomassen, Peter Walker; 2016 Tim Wing