by Pieter Thomassen, with Peter Walker and Robert Morgenstern
edited by Tim Wing
- Relaug reference file
- Relaug gallery
Designation: Esbeliben 4432369th Zentradi Fully-automated Weapons Factory Relaug Advanced Officer’s Pod
- Total Height (without antenna): 15.9 m
- Total Height (with antenna): 17.7 m
- Total Depth: 9.9 m
- Total Breadth: 5.7 m
- Weight: 49.5 metric tons
- Design: Esbeliben 4432369th Zentradi Fully-automated Weapons Ffactory.
- Builder: Various manufacturers.
- One man, all weather ground combat command mecha with secondary space capabilities.
III. Service History:
- Served with the Tirolian Border Fleets from 1967 onwards.
- Served with the planetary divisions of the Regular Zentraedi Armies from 1972 onwards.
Note: all plasma-shock expansion engines draw their plasma from a single fusion pile.
- 1 x Varredoush type 63 plasma-shock expansion engine with vectorable exhaust. The thruster is located at the lower aft of the main body and has a maximum burst output of 520 kN and a maximum sustained output of 350 kN.
- 2 x Varredoush type 64 plasma-shock expansion engines located in the lower aft flanks of the main body, with limited vectorable exhausts pointing aft. Each engine has a maximum output of 148 kN.
- 2 x Varredoush type 31M plasma-shock expansion thruster systems in the calves and feet. Each thruster has a maximum output of 54 kN. The exhausts in the feet can generate a ground effect air cushion under the mecha, enabling it to glide forward at low altitude if the terrain is remarkably even.
- Assorted maneuvering thrusters, fed from the main engine, are spread out over the mecha.
- Fuel Capacity: 24 standard canisters of protoculture.
- Maximum running speed: 308 kph.
- Maximum submerged speed: 25 kph.
- Maximum jumping distance in Earth-normal conditions: 275 meters.
- Average cell duration: 170 hours continuous operational use.
- Delta-v capacity: 3.9 kps on graphite reaction mass.
- NGP-SS2(*) Ultra-wide band phased array with spherical coverage, for various scan/track, battlefield surveillance and counter-battery options.
- NGP-SS2 Multi-band digital camera system, for medium range all attitude infra-red imaging, optical and ultra-violet band detection and tracking.
- NGP-SS2 Multi-frequency laser ranger and designator.
Tactical Electronic Warfare System (TEWS):
- NGP-SS2 Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- NGP-SS2 Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- NGP-SS2 Active sensor jammer
- NGP-SS2 Chaff and flare dispenser
(*) Terran designation. The Tirolian designers considered the sensors part of the design and did not assign separate designations for these systems.
- 2 x Gluph Tillik 07recoil-compensated 79.2mm rail cannons, mounted side-by-side on an elevating turret to the rear of the mecha. The turret can elevate 1.9 meter, rotate 30 degrees to each side, and elevate over -10 to +30 degrees. The cannons can fire a 9.3 kg Tungsten APFS (armor piercing fin stabilized) round at 1490 mps to an effective range under Earth-like conditions of about 8 km, or a 11.3 kg, 25 MJ plasma-tipped SAPFSP (semi-armor piercing fin stabilized plasma) sub-caliber round at 1220 mps to an effective range of about 10 km. The ammunition supply for these two guns is 200 rounds.
- 4 x Makral Bodatsz-5 quintuple-barreled rotary particle beam cannons mounted in upper and lower arm mounts. Each cannon can rotate over 210 degrees of arc and elevate over 180 degrees of arc. The sub-barrels can each fire a particle beam of 3.5 MJ every second, and all can be fired in parallel, for maximum localized damage, or in series for increased chances of a hit.
- 2 x Moldile Tszan 22.3mm autocannons in two lower aft mounts, defending the lower rear. The cannons can rotate and elevate 110 degrees, and are mounted at -30 degrees. The cannon fires caseless rounds AP or FRAG rounds at 850 rpm. The ammunition supply is 1500 rounds.
The armor of the Relaug is composed of an advanced titanium-steel alloy. The armor stops all small arms and heavy infantry weapons fire, provides reasonable resistance to light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round, and poor resistance to medium mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Valkyrie’s 55mm APFSDS round, if the latter strikes perpendicular. Due to the sloping armor, incoming fire has a higher chance of a glancing hit.
The Relaug provides full protection from nuclear, biological, and chemical hazards, using a sealed cockpit environment. The internal consumables supplies can provide atmosphere for four days maximum.
The Relaug was the successor to the well-known Glaug command battlepods, and a contemporary of the Lotzor battlepod, which was intended to replace the signature Zentraedi Reguld infantry mecha. The Relaug offered many advancements over the Glaug, including better armor, more capable armament, better C3I equipment and enhanced mobility. These enhancements did however cause a 20% increase in weight, and the heavier armament required additional power draws on the energizer system. The Relaug was therefore far more complex and drained its protoculture canisters far faster than its Glaug predecessor.
The Relaug had a more angular body than the Glaug, and both a wider and shorter main body. The arms and legs were sturdier than those of its predecessor, and the overall dimensions are smaller. This made for a smaller target, and also increased the armor protection by decreasing the vulnerable surfaces. Improvements in propulsion technology made the Relaug more mobile than its predecessor, with improved running speed, acceleration, delta-v capacity and control responsiveness.
The most obvious improvement lay in the armament. The large, high-mounted particle cannon of the Glaug was replaced with a turret mounting two rail cannons (impact cannons in Zentraedi terminology). This design feature was not adopted without argument, as the cannons had considerable recoil, and were placed in the worst location possible for stability. However, this problem was mostly solved with the incorporation of dedicated recoil compensation thrusters at the aft end of the gun barrels. In addition, the projectile weapons were far more reliable and had a larger range in adverse atmospheric conditions than the energy weapon they replaced. The guns were of the same caliber as the conventional impact cannons on the Queadluun-Rau and Nousjadeul-Ger power armors, but fired totally different ordnance. Specially developed for this mecha were a relatively heavy APFS round with maximum armor penetration and a plasma-tipped general purpose shell. The rail cannons fired these at very high velocities, and all this combined led to a gun system with effects beyond what was common for its caliber.
The second increase in firepower lay in the arm cannons. In place of the Glaug’s two impact cannons, the Relaug mounted no less than four quintuple-barreled particle beam cannons. In addition to this large increase in the number of sub-barrels was a 40% increase in the yield of each sub-barrel. This also saw a significant increase in the arm mounted weapons systems’ power requirements. However, as long as the energizers had access to fresh protoculture cells, this was not am major problem. What was unavoidable due to the shape of the armor slope and the space requirements of the nose sensors was the relocation of the light anti-personnel lasers. It proved impossible to place these in a forward pointing position, and both guns were mounted between the engines, pointing aft and down. Their usefulness in this location was in severe doubt, and a redesign was prepared in which these cannons were deleted. However, this redesign never made it off the drawing board.
Additionally, two rudimentary tri-digit hands were installed in the arm cannon mounts. These hands are not capable of holding gun pods, but can be used in the construction of makeshift fortifications, or for short duration transportation work. With their far wider reach and dexterity these hands are a major improvement over the Glaug, which only had two small winches attached to simple clamps.
Although close to hundreds of thousands of Relaug battlepods had been produced by the few converted secondary plants, the new battlepods remained a small fraction of the total number of Zentraedi mecha. In addition, the units that were equipped with the new mecha were invariably planetary garrisons near priority objects. In this way, the supply lines were simplified, and the advanced pods were distributed where they were believed to be able to do the most good. It is ironic that the most important battles took place over Earth, far from the planetary garrisons, and thus that the Relaug pods were never encountered in the Solar System.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.
Acknowledgement is extended to Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide. Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern are given credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide that has been utilized in this publication.
Images from – Robotech Art Book III
Content by Pieter Thomassen, with Rob Morgenstern, edited by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2000 Robert Morgenstern, Pieter Thomassen, Peter Walker; 2016 Tim Wing