by Peter Walker and Pieter Thomassen
edited by Tim Wing
- Volcano reference file
- Volcano gallery
Designation: Maxwell Dynamics SFA-4 Volcano Multi-role Fighter Aerospacecraft
- Length: 12.25 meters
- Wingspan: 8.20 meters
- Height: 5.60 meter
- SFA-4A: One seat export multi-role fighter aerospacecraft.
- FA-4A: One seat export multi-role fighter aircraft.
- SFA-4B: One seat export multi-role fighter aerospacecraft.
- SFA-4T: Two-seat export combat-capable trainer.
III. Service History:
- SFA-4A: Served with the UEEF Tactical Air Force from 2028 until replaced by the –B variant, and with the Colonial Defense Forces from 2028 until 2046.
- FA-4A: Served with the UEEF Tactical Air Force from 2030 until 2034, and with the Colonial Defense Forces from 2030 until 2049.
- SFA-4B: Served with the UEEF Tactical Air Force and Naval Tactical Corps from 2031 until 2038, and with the Colonial Defense Forces from 2031 until 2054.
- SFA-4T: Served with the UEEF Tactical Air Force from 2028 until 2038, and with the Colonial Defense Forces from 2028 until 2054.
- 3 x Turbo-Union ATF 401
- 16 standard canisters of protoculture
- Assorted auxiliary and maneuvering thrusters.
- Powercell endurance: 200 hours continuous use
- Hughes APG-99 X-band pulse-Doppler phased array, providing spherical long-range detection and tracking of targets at all attitudes.
- Phillips AllView multi-band digital camera system, for medium range spherical infra-red imaging, optical and ultra-violet band detection and tracking.
- Thomson LT-5 multi-frequency laser ranger and designator.
Tactical Electronic Warfare System (TEWS):
- Elettronica Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- OlDelft Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- Westinghouse ALQ-250(V) active sensor jammer
- Chaff dispenser
- 1 x GU-13 three-barreled 35mm gun pod
- 1 x AIMMS Alpha Integral Multi-missile system
Hardpoints include four underwing hardpoints can each mount:
- 1 x RMS-3 “Archangel Of Death” Nuclear stand-off missile. Reaction warhead (500 kT) mounted on a long range (354 km) Mach 4.0 combined multi-spectrum imager and active radar homing missile. Customized for anti-starship operations. Maximum delta-v in space is 9.8 kps.
- or 1 x CBM-200 Anti-mecha Cluster Missile. Two hundred guided cluster bombs with a range of 500 meters mounted on a long range (80 km) Mach 4.0 combined multi-spectrum imager and active radar homing missile. Customized for anti-mecha operations both in space and on the ground. Maximum delta-v in space is 3.5 kps.
- or 1 x Carapace missile container, carrying 6 medium range (65km) Mach 3.2 combined infra-red imager and active radar homing 260mm Diamondback missiles or 12 190x540mm short range (8.2km) combined active radar + home-on-jam/infra-red imager guided Hammerhead missiles.
- or 1 x RMS-2 ‘Angel of Death’ Nuclear Stand-off missile. A reaction warhead (200 kT) mounted on a long range (293 km) Mach 4.0 combined multi-spectrum imager and active radar homing missile. Preferred ordnance for anti-starship missions. Maximum delta-v is 5 kps.
- or 1 x Firebird missile. A conventional warhead mounted on the frame of a RMS missile with a range of 234 km and a speed of Mach 6.5, guided by a combined IIR and active/passive radar seeker. Weapon has a delta-v of 4 kps in space.
- or 1 x Silencer anti-radiation missile.
- or 1 x Hughes GU-11 55mm three barreled smoothbore rotary gun pod; has a 500 round capacity. Cannon fires APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot) and HESH-I (High Explosive Squash Head-Incendiary) rounds at 600 rounds/minute.
- or 1 x Rheinmetall GU-12 single smoothbore barrel gun pod. Fires 100mm APFSDS and HEAP (High Explosive Armor Piercing) semi-combustible case munitions at 110 rounds/minute. Ammunition supply is 60 rounds.
- or 1 x MER for three optical, IIR, and active radar-guided Derringer missiles, with a range of 70km and a speed of Mach 3.0. Note however that because of the proximity of the hardpoints only one MER can be carried on the inner hardpoints; the outer hardpoints will have to remain unused in this case.
- or any other military cargo such as a reconnaissance pod, missile or cargo pod.
The skin of the Volcano is composed of an advanced titanium-steel alloy. The armored skin stops all small arms fire, provides good protection against heavier infantry weapons, such as a 12.7mm machinegun round, and fair resistance to light mecha-mounted weaponry, such as the Zentraedi 22.3mm HE autocannon round. The total protection marginally better than that on the Valkyrie. The Volcano provides full protection from nuclear, biological, and chemical hazards, using an overpressure cockpit environment activated by radiation and hazardous chemical sensors, or manually when biological warfare conditions are anticipated. The internal consumables supplies can provide atmosphere for one day maximum.
The SFA-4 Volcano was a multi-role aerospace fighter designed and built by Maxwell Dynamics primarily for the Colonial Defense Forces of the far-Earth colonies. It was also purchased in limited numbers by the UEEF Tactical Air Force and Tactical Naval Corps. The Volcano was a fusion turbine powered, three engine design with a lifting body fuselage. The Volcano had a great deal of commonality with the VFA-6 Thunderbolt III, and even used the same nose and cockpit section of that Veritech.
Four primary versions were built, with the A model being a general purpose air and space capable multirole fighter. The FA-4A was an atmosphere only variant operated almost exclusively by the Colonial Defense Forces for planetary defense. The SFA-4B introduced provisions for the attachment of a large Fuel Ammunition Sensor Tactical (FAST) Pack system. This FAST Pack was a large, blocky pallet that attached to the bottom of the Volcano and was used primarily in space as very little thought was given to the pallet’s aerodynamic qualities. The FAST Pack mounted two additional plasma shock expansion thrusters, additional tankage, short range missile launchers and a GU-13 gun pod with an ammunition feed from the FAST Pack’s internal 35mm magazine.
Though the Volcano was used primarily by the Colonial Defense Forces, a large of them number were sent to Earth with the Relief Expedition at the end of the Second Robotech War and then again with the First Earth Reclamation mission. By the late thirties, all of the remaining Volcanos had been turned back over to the Colonial Defense Forces, having been replaced by VFA-6 Alphas. The Volcano continued to serve in the colonies until the early fifties.
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (R) is the property of Fuji Television, Artmic Studio and Tatsunoko Production. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Yoshitaka Amano, Shinji Aramaki and Hideki Kakinuma
Acknowledgement is extended to Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide. Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern are given credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide that has been utilized in this publication. Content by Pieter Thomassen and Peter Walker, edited by Tim Wing
Copyright © 1997, 1995 Robert Morgenstern, Pieter Thomassen, Peter Walker; 2015 Tim Wing