by Tim wing
Though technically of the Macross class, the SDF-2 UES Odyssey warrants its own entry. The Odyssey was laid down in November of 2003 at the Moon Base Apollo, with an expected in service date of 2008. As this was Earth’s first large capital ship to be built completely from scratch, the program was fraught with delays. With construction finally wrapping up in January of 2014, the SDF-2 was destroyed by in dry dock by forces loyal to the Zentraedi Malcontent, Lord Khyron.
By the time of the SDF-2’s near completion, the ship’s size had increased from 1200 meters to 1620 meters. The ship’s mecha hangers consisted of two newly constructed Niven-class ARMD vessels, both of which were total losses along with the SDF-2. The ship also had a completely redesigned bridge and upper structure. The ships crew spaces were all optimized for human sized personnel. Lastly, the ship was not capable of transforming into the “giant space-robot”, which was an ad-hoc modification on the SDF-1 anyway.
- Ship Type: Super Dimension Fortress
- Government: U.N. Spacy
- Manufacturer: OTEC Company (Earth origin)
- Ship Name: UES Odyssey
- Laid down: 2003
- Launch Date: (projected) September 2014
- Commission Date: (projected) September 2014
- Number of Class Commissioned: 2 (SDF-1 Macross, SDF-2 Odyssey)
- Dimensions: length 1,620 meters
- Mass: in excess of 18,000,000 metric tons
- Structure: hypercarbon frame, hypercarbon hull
- Power Plant: Protoculture fired Reflex Furnace cluster
- Primary Systems: two main reaction engine clusters (main thrusters), gravity control system, fold system cluster
- Secondary Systems: Pin-Point Barrier/Full Barrier System
- 1 x Reflex cannon with beam polarizing converging system (bow)
- 8 x converging beam cannons
- 4 x high speed 178 cm electro magnetic rail cannons
- Multiple large automatic anti-ship missile launchers
- Multiple missile emplacements
- Docked Craft: 2 x H.J. Niven-class ARMDs
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (R) is the properties of Big West Advertising and Studio Nue. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Original artwork by: Miyatake Kazutaka
Acknowledgement is extended to the work of Egan Loo and the Macross Compendium. Egan Loo is given all credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the Macross Compendium that has been utilized in this publication.
Content by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2015 Tim Wing