By Tim Wing
7.62x51mm cartridge types used by the UEDF, REF/UEEF
- M80A1 Ball (United States): 9.5 g Lead Free (LF) 7.62×51mm ball cartridge. 7.4 g of lead eliminated per M80A1 projectile.
- L2A1 Ball (United Kingdom): 7.62×51mm ball cartridge, with three sub-variants (A2-A4).
- F4 Ball (Australia): 9.3 g 7.62×51mm ball cartridge.
- DM111A3 Weichkern (Soft-core) (West Germany): 9.5 g 7.62×51mm ball cartridge, cupronickel-coated steel jacket and lead core capped with closure disc. Known for heavy fragmentation in tissue due to thin steel jacket.
- SAR6-003 Ball (Space Station Fraternity): 9.5 g 7.62×51mm ball cartridge, cupronickel-coated steel jacket. Based on the West German DM111A3 Weichkern (Soft-core).
- M62 Tracer (United States): 9.2 g tracer cartridge, orange cartridge tip.
- L5A1 Ball, Tracer (United Kingdom): 7.62×51mm tracer cartridge, designed to last out to 1,000 meters. Four sub-variants exist, with brighter ignition (A2), tracer reduced to 750 metres (A3), with a pistol powder charge (A4), and with improved ballistics (A5).
- SAR6-004T Ball, Tracer (Space Station Fraternity): 9.3 g tracer cartridge with burnout past 1,000 meters.
Enhanced Accuracy (Sniper)
- M852 Ball, Match (United States): 10.9 g 7.62×51mm Hollow-Point Boat-Tail cartridge, specifically designed for use in National Match competitions. It was dubbed “Mexican Match” because it was based on the International Match loading used at the Pan-Am Games in Mexico. It used standard brass, primer, and propellant, but used a match-grade bullet. The bullet was very accurate at around 300 meters (competition match ranges) but suffered at longer ranges.
- MK 316 MOD 0 Special Ball, Long Range (United States): 11.3 g 7.62×51mm round specifically designed for long-range sniping consisting of Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail projectiles, Federal Cartridge Company match cartridge cases and Gold Medal Match primers.
- M198 Duplex (United States): 7.62×51mm duplex round with two 5.4 g metal jacketed bullets. Bullets are stacked in the cartridge, and when fired they increase the probability of hit.
- SAR6-012D Duplex (Space Station Fraternity): 7.62×51mm duplex round with two 5.3 g bullets.
- SAR6-033DF Duplex, Frangible (Space Station Fraternity): 7.62×51mm duplex round with two 4.9 g frangible bullets. These bullets are highly brittle, and designed to not pierce interior walls. They have the added benefit of increased fragmentation and trauma when impacting soft flesh. This round was specifically designed by the UEDF and REF for use on space ships.
- M993 Armor Piercing (United States): 126.6 grains (8.2 g) 7.62×51mm armor-piercing round, black cartridge tip.
- SAR6-010AP Armor Piercing (Space Station Fraternity): 7.62×51mm armor-piercing round, tungsten carbide core with soft copper jacketing.
Saboted Armor Piercing
- M948 SLAP Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (United States): 7.62×51mm Saboted Light Armor Penetrator cartridge.
- M959 SLAP-T Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer (United States): 7.62×51mm Saboted Light Armor Penetrator cartridge with tracer element.
- SAR6-019ADS Armor-piercing Discarding Sabot (Space Station Fraternity): 7.62×51mm saboted light armor penetrator cartridge. Penetrator is tungsten carbide.
- SAR6-021ADS-DU Armor-piercing Discarding Sabot (Space Station Fraternity): 7.62×51mm saboted armor penetrator cartridge. Penetrator is constructed of depleted uranium. Sabot material fully encases the penetrator until fired, at which time it falls away in the conventional manner. This is the most deadly round available in 7.62×51mm. It has been shown to penetrate armor up to 2.5 cm of rolled homogenous armor at 100 meters. This is roughly on par with .50 BMG conventional armor piercing ammunition.
Armor Piercing Incendiary
- SAR6-028API High-Explosive Armor-Piercing-Incendiary (Space Station Fraternity): Combined effects 7.62×51mm cartridge, the High-Explosive-Incendiary-Armor-Piercing (HEIAP) cartridge contains a 5.5mm tungsten penetrator, zirconium powder, and Composition A explosive. Cartridge is identified by a green tip with a grey ring.
- 38cal SAR1-001 to 999
- 9mm SAR2-001 to 999
- 45cal SAR3-001 to 999
- 5.56mm SAR5-001 to 999
- 7.62mm SAR6-001 to 999
- .338cal Lapua SAR8-001 to 999
- 50cal SAR9-001 to 999
Robotech (R) is the property of Harmony Gold. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (R) is the property of Big West Advertising, Tatsunoko Studio and Ammonite studio. This document is in no way intended to infringe upon their rights.
Acknowledgement is extended to Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide. Peter Walker, Pieter Thomassen and Robert Morgenstern are given credit for all quotes and paraphrasing of the unofficial Robotech Reference Guide that has been utilized on Robotech Illustrated.
Content by Tim Wing
Copyright © 2015 Tim Wing